Friday, June 17, 2011

New States

I am a few days behind in posting because I had some trouble uploading pictures.

On this trip, I will go to three, maybe four new states: Nebraska, Wyoming, Arizona, and maybe New Mexico.

On Tuesday, I left Lexington, Nebraska and took a brief side trip to a see a reservoir.  One sign was very welcoming -- well, sort of,  the reservoir was "open to the public without discrimination", the other sign said I needed a permit to enter.  I decided to continue and "look for where to get a permit".  I loved the unpaved road and the sweet solitude of the landscape.






Then, I went a bit out of my way to see Wyoming.  The idyllic blue skies and puffy clouds accompanied me on my journey, and then as I approached Cheyenne I crested the hill, and excited as a little child, whooped to see the mountains of the horizon.  The sun was intense and the characteristic Cheyenne wind tousled my hair and tried to convince me it was always a kind breeze and not the whistling bearer of unforgettable cold in the winter.  I visited the Cheyenne Botanical gardens and was pleasantly surprised to see lilacs, columbine, and lilies of the valley blooming at least a month behind Maryland.  Joy to be experiencing a second spring.





In Cheyenne, I also stopped at the state capital building which had this sculpture out front:




Then I headed south toward Denver. Along the way, I stopped in Fort Collins, Colorado where my brother used to live and stopped in at Kilwin's for some ice cream and peanut brittle.


I also found a jean jacket with fun orange embroidery at the thrift store across the street.  I just had to go in the thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment