Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nebraska

I am in love with Nebraska. I fancy it has been waiting for me to arrive -- and that it kissed me on the cheek upon my arrival.  Its sea of green farmland washes over me.  It says, "See, the world is alive and growing: fruit is inevitable."  I want to bind to myself all the virtues of the land.  It fills me with gratitude.  


The Nebraska windmills entrance me.  One, two, then dozens along the interstate, dancing with the wind.  They make me think of an extraterrestrial invasion.  After several miles, I am convinced the invaders are friendly, though they don't like much getting their pictures taken.


There was an intense storm around 10:30 am.  I saw it coming on the horizon and held my breath.  It got dark as night and barely possible to see the road ahead.  And then suddenly it was over and the sky cleared-- like turning the light switch back on.





I stopped at the zoo in Omaha and found the middle Americans as interesting as the animals.  So laid back, walking a different pace, talking with a lilt: a totally different species than the common DC metro area man. The zoo had a unique desert exhibit in this dome.  




Multiply these by 30 and you will have an idea of how many koi there were.



I have a fondness for rhinoceroses. 


And this bird was so kind to sit still until I got the right setting on my camera.



When I do settle, if I do settle, I want to plant nasturtium -- such a stunning shade of orange.  And who isn't charmed by water lilies.





The following train photos are for Henry.




I stopped at a Nature Center and had a fabulous conversation with two artists who work there.  Honestly, it was more like an art gallery with glorious photographs and nature sketches.  From the center, I took a short hike across foot bridges and through prairie.  The mosquitoes enjoyed my company.





I ate my dinner here and enjoyed the irony. 

No comments:

Post a Comment